These are our principles in running The Opinionated Art Store:
- We sell or endorse only products that we have tested ourselves. This means that every product you see in our social media channels (FB, Twitter, Tumblr) have been personally evaluated to see if they have excellent quality.
- We put reasonable prices on our products. We value our money’s worth as much as you do, so we try to keep our overhead costs negligible and charge a flat shipment fee based on your location so you can save money on multiple purchases.
- We hate preorders as much as you do. We find it odd that pre-ordering became the norm in today’s local art supplies scene. Pre-ordering means the seller doesn’t have the item on hand and is shifting the burden to the customer to pay a fraction of the price (or a reservation fee) AND at the same time wait for a couple of weeks to a month before they can get their item. Not in this store. As a policy, we will only offer products for sale if it is on hand. Once we offer a product, it means our products are readily available for purchase and shipping to you. Furthermore, we are very transparent in updating the current status of our items for sale —our website reflects in real-time which of our products are on hand and which are out of stock so you can be properly informed in your buying decisions. The exception to this rule are books. Books are bulky and are expensive to ship with regular items because of their shipping weight. Also, there are tons of art books in the world that if we limit our offerings to the books we’ve read and reviewed, it will be a disservice to other artists. Please note that for preorder items, we do not require a reservation fee or downpayment. Just order your book/s through us via Facebook and we’ll notify you once your order arrives and is ready for purchase.
- We currently do not offer workshops, but when we do, they will be free. Being self-trained artists ourselves, we want to give back to society by sharing the best art materials, books, tutorials, and instruction we have to those who are just starting out. We want to cultivate the idea that while art may be a costly pursuit, it can be mitigated with good and free guidance. That being said, we are aware that the trend in local art stores nowadays is to partner with a semi-popular local artist and offer workshops to interested souls. What the participants don’t know however is that they are paying too much for the workshop fee. Having contemplated joining one of these, we computed the cost of the ‘freebies’ included in the workshop and estimated how much goes to the art supplies store sponsoring the event and how much goes to the artist. The ratio is usually around 800-1,000 for the art store, 500 pesos for the artist and ~500 for the rental place. That means every person not resourceful enough to go on YouTube or buy books should shell out 3,000 pesos for a one-time event lasting only for 3 hours. For that amount one can already amass artist-grade paints, decent watercolor papers and as much free tutorials on YouTube as you can follow.
- We aim to provide a great customer experience. As much as our abilities will allow, we want to be the art store we wish we had found years ago when we were hard-pressed in finding quality art materials locally. We will reply as swiftly as we can to your inquiries and accommodate your art materials requests within reason. We would treat you exactly as we would want to be treated ourselves.